Chef Eunice Power’s Rhubarb and Crème Fraiche Tart
By Irish Yogurts Clonakilty
|Prep Time:||5 min|
|Total Time:||5 min|
- Lightly butter a 23cm (9 inch) tart tin and put it in the fridge. Put the flour and icing sugar in a food processor and aerate with a couple of quick on/off pulses.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water (if necessary) and process until the pastry just draws together.
- Turn it out on to a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly to form a flat round. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for at least 20 minutes before rolling out.
- Pre-heat an oven to 190C/Gas 5. Roll out to a round at least 5cm (2 inches) larger than the tin.
- Wrap the pastry around the rolling pin, lift into place and unroll loosely over the chilled tin.
- Gently lift and press the pastry into the tin to line, then roll the pin over the top of the tin to trim off the excess pastry.
- Line the chilled pastry case with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and cook for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the beans and paper and cook for another 10 minutes or a little longer, until a light biscuit brown colour.
- Turn down the oven temperature to 140C. For the Rhubarb- This can be done beforehand
- Set the oven to 150C.
- Cut the rhubarb into 10cm lengths. Place in a roasting tin. Mix the vanilla seeds with sugar and sprinkle over the rhubarb and roast in the oven until the rhubarb is tender- about 20 minutes. For the Filling
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with a metal whisk until smooth, fold in the créme fraiche. Pour into the pastry case.
- Lay the rhubarb on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until just set. The custard should still be fairly wobbly in the middle, as it will continue to set as it cools.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting and serving. Serve with softly whipped cream.
For the Pastry
- 175g plain flour, sifted.
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g very cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk plus a tablespoon of iced water For the Filling
- 3 egg yolks.
- 75g caster sugar
- 250mls Irish Yogurts Clonakilty Half Fat Crème Fraîche
- ½ vanilla pod For the Rhubarb
- 500g Rhubarb
- 150g sugar