Half Fat Crème Fraîche Cheddar Bacon Quiche
By Irish Yogurts Clonakilty
- For the pastry, put plain flour, cold butter, cut into pieces, 1 egg yolk, grind of black pepper and 4 tsp cold water into a food processor.
- Using the pulse button, process until the mix binds.
- Tip the pastry onto a lightly floured surface, gather into a smooth ball, and then roll out to roughly 5mm thick.
- Grease a 23 x 2.5cm loose-bottomed, fluted flan tin, ease the pastry into the base and press into the edges and base.
- Trim the pastry edges with a knife (save any trimmings) so it sits slightly over the edge of the tin (if it shrinks, it shouldn’t now go below the level of the tin).
- Chill for 10 mins.
- Put a baking sheet in the oven and heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Line pastry case with parchment paper, fill with baking beans and bake on the hot sheet for 10 mins.
- Remove parchment and beans and bake for 4-5 mins more until the pastry is pale golden, if you notice any small holes or cracks, patch up with pastry trimmings, you can make up to this point a day ahead.
- While the pastry cools, prepare the filling. Heat a small frying pan, tip in the lardons and fry for a couple of mins.
- Drain off any liquid that comes out, then continue cooking until the lardons just start to colour, but aren’t crisp, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets, cook in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, drain into a sieve and run cold water over the broccoli to cool, drain fully.
- Grate the mature cheddar. Scatter the cheddar, broccoli and fried lardons over the bottom of the pastry case.
- Using a whisk, beat the Irish Yogurts Clonakilty Half Fat Crème Fraîche to loosen it then slowly beat in the cream.
- Mix in the eggs, season (you shouldn’t need much salt) and add a pinch of ground nutmeg, pour three quarters of the filling into the pastry case.
- Half-pull the oven shelf out and put the flan tin on the baking sheet, quickly pour the rest of the filling into the pastry case – you get it right to the top this way, then carefully push the shelf back into the oven.
- Lower the oven to 160c. Bake for about 25 mins, or until golden and softly set (the centre should not feel too firm).
- Let the quiche settle for 4-5 mins, then remove from the tin.
- Serve freshly baked, although it’s also good cold.
- 200g Plain flour
- 100g Butter
- 1 egg
- 150g Irish Yogurts Clonakilty Half Fat Crème Fraîche
- 50 ml Cream
- 4 Eggs
- 150g Bacon lardons
- 75g mature Cheddar
- ¼ head of Broccoli
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Salt pepper
Upload your own Recipe!
Error: Contact form not found.