Vegetarian Moussaka by Chef Edward Hayden
By Irish Yogurts Clonakilty
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the lentils in a large saucepan with the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for twenty minutes, until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a saucepan and cook the red onion, peppers, courgettes, mushrooms and garlic until soft and tender.
- Stir in the cooked lentils, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, purée, herbs and water. Bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pan-fry the aubergine slices until brown on either side.
- Lightly grease a 9inch/23cm square ovenproof dish.
- Season the lentil mixture and layer up the aubergines and the lentil mixture much like a lasagne, starting and finishing with the aubergine. For the topping
- Beat the yogurt, milk, eggs and seasoning together.
- Pour over the vegetable mixture and then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for forty-five minutes.
- Serve with a salad or crusty bread.
- 2 large aubergines, cut into slices (approximately 20 slices)
- 7oz/200g dried green or red lentils
- A little oil for cooking
- 1 pint/600ml vegetable stock
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1½ peppers, finely diced
- ½ courgette, finely diced
- 8-10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 14oz/400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 14oz/400g can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 3½ fl oz/100ml cold water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper For the topping
- 10 fl oz/300ml Irish Yogurts Clonakilty Whole Milk Natural Live Yogurt
- 3 fl oz/ 75ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3oz/75g cheddar or mozzarella cheese
Upload your own Recipe!
Error: Contact form not found.